You might have heard of Vitamin C being important for immune and skin health, but have you thought about its role in hair health?
This powerhouse vitamin has been used in many beauty products over time, for a very good reason. Often we hear about Vitamin C being used in skin care as it helps stimulate collagen production, which helps with the appearance and texture of the skin. But Vitamin C is important for so much more than skin health.
Want the good news?
The relationship between Vitamin C and hair health is predominantly due to the potent antioxidant activity of Vitamin C. Antioxidants help to protect the body from free radical damage, and free radicals can cause the hair to become brittle and dry. The best part about Vitamin C is that it isn’t only found in trending superfoods and supplements, it can be found in a range of fruit and vegetables you already consume and probably didn’t even realise!
Foods that are high in Vitamin C are broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, parsley, brussel sprouts, capsicum, lemons, pomegranates and tomato. Ramp up your intake of these foods, and voilà you can boost your intake of Vitamin C.
Ready for some inspo to help you turn up the dial on your Vitamin C intake?
- Make a delicious vegetable lasagne by layering sliced capsicum, eggplant and zucchini smother it with a rich tomato sauce. Give the The Healthy Chef’s recipe a whirl!
- Finely chop brussel sprouts and saute them for a minute in a little coconut oil and salt, and add to your favourite salad. Be careful not to overcook the sprouts or you will lose all that healthy vitamin C and cause the sprouts to turn bitter.
- Whiz up some strawberries, parsley, your favourite milk substitute and some linseed, sunflower and almond meal (LSA) to make a tasty breakfast smoothie
- Bake your favourite sustainably caught fish with a squeeze of lemon, fresh herbs and pepper
- One of our favourite salad recipes at Apotecari HQ is delivered thanks to Kepos Street Kitchen- cauliflower and cranberry salad. You could replace the cranberries with some fresh raspberries when they’re in season for a little sweetness.
We love incorporating healthy and delicious foods into our diet each day to nourish our locks- it’s easy to do and a really clever way to get that mane you’ve been waiting for without the expensive salon bills! Check out our hair hub for more diet tips to get your hair in tip top shape.